Recharged and Ready To Go
Welcome to the 2016-17 school year! As I do each year with my first “Message from the Commissioner,” I would like to give you a preview of what is to come …
– Competitive equity playoﬀ groupings: this year will certainly be known as the first year that we implemented competitive equity playoﬀ groupings in our section.
Our playoﬀ divisions for fall sports were released in June and the playoﬀ divisions for winter and spring sports are coming soon. I truly appreciate all of the hard work that has gone into making this concept a reality and I hope you join me in looking forward to seeing it all play out in the time ahead.
– Increased travel reimbursements for member schools: in 2016-17, we will be increasing the mileage reimbursements and meal allowances for our member schools in our revenue sports of football, boys/girls basketball, and boys/girls volleyball. Be looking for more information on those increases in our playoﬀ bulletins for each respective sport.
– Website/ CIFSSHome/ technology advances: this is the second year for our website that we launched in July 2015. We were very pleased with how well it functioned in year one and know that we will continue to work on improving the capabilities and functionality of our website this upcoming school year and beyond. New features to look for in 2016-17 are the development of an enhanced mobile version of our website that includes links to our social media platforms, as well as developing an app to be utilized within the CIFSSHome system.
– Professional development for athletic directors/athletic administrators: in 2016-17, we are looking to build upon the successes we enjoyed last year with the introduction of our MVP AD Program. Through our Fall Eligibility Workshops, the Athletic Administrator Summit, MVP AD Exam, etc., we hope to assist our athletic directors/ athletic administrators in being more eﬀective educational leaders. Check our website for more information on the MVP AD program.
Also, the CIF Southern Section Athletic Administrator Summit will take place on Monday, Oct. 17 at the
Sheraton Fairplex Hotel and Conference Center in Pomona. New for this year will be a series of presentations, especially geared toward our high school principals in an eﬀort to engage them in professional development as well. Sign-ups are now available on our website.
– Area placement – as we enter year three of our current Re-leaguing Cycle, we will begin the area placement process in preparation for the 2018-2022 Re=leaguing Cycle. In September 2016, member schools will be surveyed regarding their requests for area placement for 2018-2022. More details on the processes and timelines for area placement will be distributed at that time.
– Season of sport calendar changes for 2018-19: the CIF state oﬃce recently announced changes to their state championships calendars in certain sports, eﬀective with the 2018-19 school year. Along with the sports already announced, be looking for a proposal to examine the sports calendars of other sports and be prepared for a discussion this year on changing the SOP dates to correspond to the sports calendar changes for 2018-19.These are just a few of the many new and exciting things happening this upcoming school year. I hope you are as energized as we are to get it all started. I thank you very much for your continued help and support and wish you good luck always.
All the best,
– Rob Wigod, Commissioner, CIF Southern Section